Is water leakage and flood damage covered by homeowner’s insurance?

Is water leakage and flood damage covered by homeowner’s insurance - Arnold Insurance Agency Blog.jpg

Water damage claims are the second largest home insurance claim only behind wind and hail damage. Water leakage and flooding, even if a little, can be devastating and cause problems both short-term and long-term. A good idea is to review your policies and learn if you are covered in the event of unwanted water.

Flooding and water damage can happen in many ways such as: 

  • Sudden or Accidental Discharge

  • Sewer backup or water backup

  • Overflow

  • Flood

  • Storm Related Water Damage

Now the real question is: If any of this happened, will your house be covered?

Sudden or Accidental Discharge

It covers damage to items due to water damage if the incoming water is from sudden or accidental leaks such as a pipe bursting.

It does not cover lack of maintenance. For example, if you have a leaking toilet or washing machine that you never get serviced and the water leaks into the floor or other areas causing damage.

Sewer backup or water backup

Typically, not covered and sewer backup insurance is not automatically included in most standard homeowner policies. You must add it to your policy by endorsement to make sure you're adequately protected. 


If a toilet, tub, sink overflows or a dishwasher explodes. The damage to those items, as well as the water damage to home furnishings would be covered by the homeowner’s policy but only if the overflow is caused by sudden or accidental change.


Flood damage of any kind is not covered by your homeowner’s insurance policy. Separate flood insurance can be purchased and if you live in an area where that may be a concern you will want to talk to your agent about adding it.

Storm Related Water Damage

Homeowners insurance may help cover certain causes of storm damage, including wind, hail and lightning but homeowners insurance does not cover flood damage, whether it's caused by a rain storm or overflowing river. 

Water damage of any kind can be very confusing in terms of what is it isn’t covered by your insurance. Be sure to review your options with your agent on a regular basis so you aren’t caught off guard in the event of leaks and floods. If you are looking for home insurance or any water related insurance, give us a call! 614-863-0455 or email